Wednesday, August 20, 2008
Fructose allergy / sensitivity?
My little experiment with removing high fructose corn syrup, and lots of other sugars seems to be going well. Honestly, I can tell a difference when I'm making a point to stick to my diet. There have been a couple of times when I've cheated, and eaten something with normal / organic sugar, and then I don't have a problem. Additionally, when I eat fruits, which include natural sugars, I seem to be fine.

Interestingly, it seems like alcohol and high fructose corn syrup and other corn products are really the culprit. So I've done a little more research around that and it seems that there is such a thing as a fructose sensitivity. With this kind of sensitivity, you might see a delayed reaction of up to a few days before actually experiencing the reaction. Which would make sense with how I seem to react. It's been hard pinpointing *what* creates my migraines. But if I've only been looking at a single day's food, sometimes I can't narrow down the pattern.

Based on this article at The Heath Sciences Institute - a fructose allergy could cause "acne, eczema, migraines, diarrhea, constipation, and physical and mental fatigue." I definitely have some skin sensitivities, migraines, and sometimes I'm exhausted (but who isn't?). I can't say that I have any obvious digestive problems.

Early on in my migraine journey, a friend mentioned that they knew someone who had migraines and had a food allergy. It would be really interesting if an allergy is triggering this in me, too. It hasn't come up with any neurologist, so maybe I get in touch with a nutritionist and follow this path?

Labels: , ,



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer2.JPG